BIRMINGHAM, Ala., March 21 – Track and field athlete Ben Skidmore and swimmer Courtney O’Grady have been nominated for the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship and tennis player Matt Walters and volleyball player Kelli Stipanovich have been nominated for the Brad Davis Community Service Post-Graduate Scholarship by the University of Arkansas.
The H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship has been presented by the Southeastern Conference since 1986 to the league’s top male and female scholar-athletes.
The SEC Community Service Post-Graduate Scholarship was named for former Associate Commissioner Brad Davis. Davis succumbed to cancer on March 2, 2006. He had been a member of the SEC staff since 1988, first serving as an assistant commissioner until 1994 when he was promoted to associate commissioner.
The Southeastern Conference will name the 2012 recipients of the H. Boyd McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Post-Graduate Scholarship on April 6 in conjunction with National Student-Athlete Day. The Davis Community Service Post-Graduate Scholarship winners will be announced on April 5.
Highlights of the Razorbacks’ nominees include:
Ben Skidmore, Track & Field (Male McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Nominee)
• Will earn B.A. degree in Chemistry and Biology in May 2012
• Four-year member of the Arkansas Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
• Participated in the Razorback Leadership Academy for three years
• Member of SEC Academic Honor Roll and Arkansas Athletic Department Honor Roll
• U.S Track & Field and Cross Country Association All-Academic Team
• Participated in SEC’s Together We Can Food Drive, Wheel Chair Relay Race (during Disability Awareness Week), Run for Love 5K (support youth orphanage home) and Book Hogs Read to Win Program.
• Member of “Sweat Hawgs,” a program promoting physical fitness and a healthy lifestyle to children
• Six-time All-American, 2010-12
• SEC Champion and All-SEC in the 400 meters and 4x400 relay, 2011
• Part of 2012 NCAA indoor champion 4x400 meter relay team
• NCAA Regional and National qualifier, 2011
• The Woodlands, Texas native is the son of Steven Skidmore
Courtney O’Grady, Swimming & Diving (Female McWhorter Scholar-Athlete Nominee)
• Will earn B.S. degree in Business in December 2012 with a double major of Finance and Marketing
• Member of University of Arkansas’ Honors College, 2008-12
• Member of SEC Academic Honor Roll and Arkansas Athletic Department Honor Roll, 2008-12
• Member of Beta Gamma Sigma (business), Golden Key, Eta Sigma Phi and Gamma Beta Phi Honor Societies
• Volunteered with Special Olympics and Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
• Member of the Razorback Leadership Academy and Executive Cabinet member with the UA Associated Student Government
• Participated in Lift Up America (food drive), Sweat Hawgs (promoting physical fitness and healthy lifestyle to children), Shop with the Razorbacks (purchase gifts for needy children during Christmas) and Book Hogs Read to Win Program (reading to children at elementary schools).
• Captain of Arkansas’ Swimming and Diving Team, 2011-present
• The Longwood, Fla. native is the daughter of Patrick and Lynn O’Grady
Matt Walters, Tennis (Male Davis Community Service Nominee)
• Will earn a B.S. degree in Education in May 2012
• Captain of Razorback tennis team, 2010-11 and 2011-12
• Member of SEC and Arkansas Athletic Department Honor Roll
• Has volunteered at two homeless shelters, providing general maintenance and administrative assistance
• Visited Arkansas Children’s Hospital in Little Rock
• Conducted tennis camps for young children with Razorback tennis team for four years
• Participated in SEC Together We Can Food Drive and Lift Up America food drive
• Active in Fellowship of Christian Athletes, speaking to high school students and youth teams
• Participated in Books Hogs Read to Win Program (reading to children at elementary schools) and Sweat Hawgs (promoting physical fitness and healthy lifestyle to children)
• The Jonesboro, Ark. native is the son of Tim and Linda Walters
Kelli Stipanovich, Volleyball (Female Davis Community Service Nominee)
• Will earn a B.S. degree in Education in May 2012
• Member of SEC Community Service Volleyball Team, 2009-11
• Volunteered with Special Olympics Volleyball Clinic, 2011
• Participated in the American Heart Association Heart Walk, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, Special Olympics Track Meet, Boys and Girls Club Volleyball Clinic and SEC Together We Can Food Drive.
• Volunteered with Operation Haiti (packaging meals for victims of Haiti earthquake), Books Hogs Read to Win Program (reading to children at elementary schools), Sweat Hawgs (promoting physical fitness and healthy lifestyle to children) and Lift Up America food drive.
• Member of Arkansas Athletics and SEC Academic Honor Roll
• All-SEC second-team, 2011
• MVP of 2010 Arkansas Invitational, 2011 Wake Forest Invitational and 2011 West Point Challenge
• Member of Arkansas Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and its secretary in 2011-12
• Three-time team captain and selected to participate in Razorback Leadership Academy
• The Creve Coeur, Mo. native is the daughter of Steve and Terri Stipanovich